Shambhavi Kriya is a powerful technique that brings you the
Self-realization. It awakens Ajna chakra quickly. Shambhavi means
"pertaining to Shiva". Lord Shiva himself remains absorbed in this kriya.
The greatness of this kriya cannot be explained in words.
- Sit in any meditative posture with your spine and head erect
- Close your eyes and relax the whole body
- Now focus your awareness and inner vision at the region
between eyebrows i.e. the region of Ajna chakra
- Visualize a bright Om there
- See the Om sparkling bright light
- Mentally start chanting Om
- Try to make the Om visualization as vivid as possible
- Maintain Om chanting along with visualization for as much
time as you can
- When visualization starts fading away stop chanting and
slowly come out of the kriya
Beginners should do this practice for 15 minutes gradually
increasing the duration.
Instead of closing the eyes altogether you may adopt the following
- Let the eyes be half closed. You will see downwards instead of in
- Let the eyes be half closed and try to see the tip of the nose. This
is difficult and may put undue strain on your eyes.
As an alternative to the Om chanting and visualization you can
adopt the following variations:
- Visualize bright light or a bunch of light particles at the
region of Ajna
- Visualize brilliant white lotus radiating divine rays at the
region of Ajna
- Visualize image of your idol (deity) at the region of Ajna
Signs of correct practice
- Deep meditative state results
- Feeling of bliss and joy after the practice
- You become eager to do this kriya. Whole day you may think about
doing this kriya.
- Light is seen at Ajna
- A tingling sensation can be felt at Ajna
- You may receive divine guidance
Signs of erroneous practice
- Pain in the eyes
- Wandering mind even after prolonged practice
- No deep meditation results
- Feeling of boredom
- Feeling sleepy
- Visualization of Om fades away too quickly
The above technique is mentioned directly or indirectly in the
following Yogic texts:
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika
- Gheranda Samhita
- Shiva Samhita
Bipin Joshi is a software consultant, an author and a yoga mentor with more than 22 years of experience in classical yoga system of India. He is an internationally published author and has authored or co-authored more than ten technology books for Apress and WROX press. He has been awarded as a Most Valuable Professional by Microsoft. He has also written a few Marathi books including Devachya Davya Hati and Natha Sankentincha Danshu. Having embraced yoga way of life he also teaches Kriya and Meditation to selected individuals.
बिपीन जोशी लिखित देवाच्या डाव्या हाती आणि नाथ संकेतींचा दंशु या पुस्तकांची आपली प्रत आजच विकत घ्या. त्यांच्या अजपा योग मार्गदर्शनाविषयी अधिक माहिती येथे उपलब्ध आहे.