Preparatory Practices for Mahabandha Kriya
Mahabandha Kriya involves three locks namely - Moolabandha, Uddiyanabandha
and Jalandharabandha. Applying all these locks simultaneously can be difficult
for most of the new practitioners. Hence, it is recommended that you practice
each lock separately unless you master them all. In addition you can practice
the following preparatory techniques.
- Sit on your tows such that your knees are touching the floor in the
- Now place the palms on the floor and lift your body upwards so that your
trunk is parallel to the ground and your weight is balanced by hands and
knees. (It is as if you are standing on four legs like dogs and cats)
- Now contract your anus muscles to a comfortable limit
- Hold on for few seconds and then release the tension
- Repeat this contraction and relaxation for 10-15 times
- Lie down on the the back
- Fold your knees such that your soles are touching the ground
- Take few deep breaths
- Now exhale completely
- As you exhale let your abdomen sink
- Try to take it as close to your spine as possible. Do not put excessive
- Maintain this position for as much as comfortable
- Slowly inhale and allow the abdomen to assume the normal position
- Sit comfortably in any meditative posture
- Place palms on your knees
- Now slowly start moving your neck in four directions - left, right, up
- After performing 10 rotations slowly start rotating your neck first in
clockwise direction and then in anticlockwise direction.
- Relax and attempt again
After some practice try to touch your chin on the chest when you turn the
head downwards. Do not apply force of any kind.
Bipin Joshi is a software consultant, an author and a yoga mentor with more than 22 years of experience in classical yoga system of India. He is an internationally published author and has authored or co-authored more than ten technology books for Apress and WROX press. He has been awarded as a Most Valuable Professional by Microsoft. He has also written a few Marathi books including Devachya Davya Hati and Natha Sankentincha Danshu. Having embraced yoga way of life he also teaches Kriya and Meditation to selected individuals.
बिपीन जोशी लिखित देवाच्या डाव्या हाती आणि नाथ संकेतींचा दंशु या पुस्तकांची आपली प्रत आजच विकत घ्या. त्यांच्या अजपा योग मार्गदर्शनाविषयी अधिक माहिती येथे उपलब्ध आहे.