Mahabandha Kriya is a powerful combination of Moolabandha, Uddiyanabandha
and Jalandharabandha. Mahabandha means great lock. This kriya awakens the
Kundalini and pushes her in the Sushumna. It generate psychic heat that
arouses the sleeping goddess.
- Sit in any meditative posture
- Relax your whole body and close your eyes
- Place your palms firmly on the knees
- Exhale forcefully though nostrils
- As you exhale tilt head down and place your chin on chest.
This is Jalandharabandha
- Contract perineum region and apply Moolabandha
- Because of Moolabandha and Jalandharabandha your abdominal
wall will be naturally drawn in. This is Uddiyanabandha
- Now rotate your awareness across all the six chakras
starting from Mooladhara to Ajna.
- Then descend the awareness from Ajna back to Mooladhara in
- Retain the breath outside as long as you can
- Now release Moolabandha, Uddiyanabandha and Jalandharabandha
- Inhale slowly and raise the head to original position
One ascent and one descent of awareness makes one round of Mahabandha Kriya. Beginners should do this kriya for 3 rotations
gradually increasing the rounds and duration per round. You will be
able to stay in this position for longer durations without any
discomfort after a long practice.
Some people may feel mucus in the throat during initial stages. This is
normal and it vanishes after a practice of few days.
Signs of correct practice
- Tingling sensation in the spine
- A sense of "something" rushing across the spine
- Meditative state is attained
Signs of erroneous practice
- Pain in perineum, abdomen or throat
- Difficulty in breathing
- Pressure accompanied by pain and discomfort in chest
- Dizzy feeling during or after the practice
- Constipation or allied problems
The above technique is mentioned directly or indirectly in the
following Yogic texts:
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika
- Gheranda Samhita
- Shiva Samhita
Bipin Joshi is a software consultant, an author and a yoga mentor with more than 22 years of experience in classical yoga system of India. He is an internationally published author and has authored or co-authored more than ten technology books for Apress and WROX press. He has been awarded as a Most Valuable Professional by Microsoft. He has also written a few Marathi books including Devachya Davya Hati and Natha Sankentincha Danshu. Having embraced yoga way of life he also teaches Kriya and Meditation to selected individuals.
बिपीन जोशी लिखित देवाच्या डाव्या हाती आणि नाथ संकेतींचा दंशु या पुस्तकांची आपली प्रत आजच विकत घ्या. त्यांच्या अजपा योग मार्गदर्शनाविषयी अधिक माहिती येथे उपलब्ध आहे.